Practice Area: Litigation
Lauren Dwyer is a partner in the firm’s Litigation group, where she focuses on complex business litigation and white-collar criminal defense, and defending licensed professionals in board disciplinary proceedings. She has represented corporations, executives, managers, employees, and licensed professionals in civil and criminal matters in both state and federal court, as well as internal corporate investigations, in a variety of sectors, including healthcare, pharmaceuticals, medical device, construction, and accounting.
In civil matters, she has dealt with commercial disputes involving many different claims, including actions for fraud and misrepresentation, breach of contract, unfair and deceptive business practices, and employment related claims. In her work related to government investigations and enforcement actions, she has dealt with actions by federal prosecutors, the state Attorney General, district attorneys, and various state and federal agencies. She has particular experience in various forms of civil and criminal fraud, and issues facing licensed professionals charged with misconduct.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
CorporateLiveWire Lawyer of the Year in White Collar Criminal Defense for Boston, MA, 2014
Massachusetts Super Lawyer Rising Star, 2009*
Certificate of Appreciation from the Standing Committee on Pro Bono Legal Services of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court, awarded in 2007 for pro bono legal services provided to persons detained in New Bedford immigration raid
Associate, Foley Hoag, LLP, Boston
Law Clerk, Honorable Nancy Gertner, U.S. District Court, Boston
Intern, United States Attorney’s Office, District of Massachusetts
Speech Writer, City of New York Department of Parks & Recreation
Boston College Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, "Order of the Coif," 2003
Georgetown University, B.A., cum laude, Government, Pi Sigma Alpha (National Political Science Honor Society), 1999
Court / Bar Admissions
United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
Defense procurement/government contracting fraud; Mail and wire fraud; Mortgage fraud; Tax fraud; Pharmaceutical marketing/Kickbacks/Off Label; Accounting/revenue recognition/financial; Insider trading; Internal investigations; Export violations; Foreign corrupt practices act; Medical peer review proceedings; Professional licensing & disciplinary cases; Scientific & research misconduct proceedings; Business torts; Insurance coverage disputes; Commercial litigation; Contract disputes; Employment agreements/disputes; Healthcare whistleblower claims; Noncompetition agreements; SEC civil cases; Unfair and deceptive trade practices (Chapter 93A)
Professional Services (attorneys, CPAs, engineers, physicians); Privately held corporations; Education; Employee services/professional staffing; Insurance; Hospitals; Biomedical & Pharmaceutical; Pharmacies; Scientific Research; Scientists; Nonprofit Organizations
American Bar Association
Boston Bar Association
Women’s Bar Association
Civic & charitable activities
Pro bono representation of victims of domestic violence in civil proceedings to obtain restraining orders and criminal proceedings involving abusers
Pro bono representation of individuals seeking asylum
Pro bono representation of domestic violence victim at trial of civil claims against abuser involving theft and identity fraud
Off the record...
Lauren loves cross-country skiing and is eager to check African Safari off her bucket list.
*The Super Lawyers list is issued by Thomson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology can be found at here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts.
- negotiated favorable, non-public resolutions for licensed professionals subject to licensing board complaints
- in multi-day bench trial successfully defended corporate officers and limited partnership in dismissing claims for breach of fiduciary duty, breach of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing, fraudulent conveyance, among related claims, and limiting damages on breach of contract claim.
- successfully defended individual in U.S. Army debarment proceeding involving allegations of import/export violations and contract fraud
*favorably resolved state criminal proceeding involving allegations of larceny and money laundering with administrative probation
- successfully represented physicians in criminal and civil investigations relating to various issues, including billing, medical treatment of patient, prescribing practices, and recordkeeping
- won declaratory judgment after four-week bench trial in contract case seeking declaration that defendant had no right to an ownership interest in multi-million dollar business
- successfully resolved civil dispute between licensed professionals stemming from departure of partner
- represent executives, managers, and employees in criminal and civil investigations by state and federal authorities as well as internal investigations
- member of trial team that successfully defended Big Four accounting firm at a four-week jury trial against allegations of fraud and misrepresentation
- defend companies in product liability actions in various state and federal courts
“Thank you for giving me my life back.”
Significant appeal in Big Dig criminal case
Giving back to our community
“Excellent work, excellent results.”
Landmark ruling in scientific misconduct case