Practice Area: Litigation
Nicholas Nybo is a Rhode Island attorney practicing trial and appellate litigation. Nick has experience with private and public contract disputes, municipal liability litigation and administrative appellate work. His professional interests include employment law, specifically first amendment and whistleblower litigation.
Prior to joining Donoghue Barrett & Singal, Nick served as a judicial clerk to the superior court judges of Connecticut where he assisted those judges in deciding pretrial dispositive motions. Nick has interned with the Honorable Francis X. Flaherty, Associate Justice of the Rhode Island Supreme Court. Nick has also interned with the Civil Division of the Office of the Attorney General of Rhode Island. While in law school, Nick was an active member of the school’s moot court program and served as an articles editor on the Roger Williams Law Review.
Roger Williams University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
Bryant University, B.B.A.
COURT / BAR ADMISSIONS
Commercial Litigation; Business Torts; Contract Disputes
Privately-Held Corporations; State & Local Governments
Rhode Island Bar Association
Massachusetts Bar Association
PRESENTATIONS & PUBLICATIONS
Preserving Justice: A Discussion of Rhode Island’s “Raise or Waive” Doctrine, 20 ROGER WILLIAMS U. L. REV. __ (2015).
A Three Ring Circus: The Exploitation of Civil RICO, How Treble Damages Caused It, and Whether Rule 11 Can Remedy the Abuse, 18 ROGER WILLIAMS U. L. REV. 19 (2013).
Rhode Island Survey: State v. Sampson, 17 ROGER WILLIAMS U. L. REV. 547 (2012).
CIVIC & CHARITABLE ACTIVITIES
American Cancer Society
OFF THE RECORD
Outside of the office, Nick enjoys reading political and judicial biographies, exercise, and watching football.
- Successfully secured a preliminary injunction in Rhode Island Superior Court for Providence County on behalf of an insurance brokerage firm enjoining the termination of a brokerage contract with a national medical malpractice insurance company and subsequently negotiated a settlement extending the termination date.
- Successfully defended a New England law firm in a professional malpractice claim pending in Massachusetts Superior Court for Norfolk County.
- Represented a Rhode Island hospital in a rate dispute with a state health plan in Rhode Island Superior Court for Providence County.
- Represented the City of Providence in a professional malpractice lawsuit against its former actuaries in United States District Court for the District of Rhode Island.
- Represented the receiver for four investment funds subject to an enforcement action by the Securities & Exchange Commission in United States District Court for the District of Rhode Island.
- Successfully represented a national property management company in a commercial eviction action against restaurant tenant.
Preserving Justice: A Discussion of Rhode Island’s “…