Nina G. Edwards joined Donoghue Barrett & Singal in 1993 and is a Partner in the firm’s Health Law practice. Since that time, she has practiced in the area of business and regulatory law, specializing in the application of such law to healthcare providers.
Ms. Edwards works with healthcare providers in the areas of business strategy and transactions, financing, and regulatory compliance. She has experience in working with business and organizations regarding employment matters, contracting issues, and charitable and tax exempt-related concerns. Her clinical training and healthcare industry management experience help her address the unique and critical legal matters that face healthcare providers.
Co-author, Pattern Discovery: Labor and Employment Law, published by Clark, Boardman, and Callaghan
Prior to her legal career, Ms. Edwards held a variety of healthcare management and consulting positions, including that of hospital chief executive officer, nurse, and management consultant
Boston University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1994 Concentration in Health Law with Honors
Editor for Legislative Services
Paul J. Liacos Distinguished Scholar award
Edward F. Hennessey Scholar award
Trinity University, M.S., Health Care Administration, 1984
Virginia Commonwealth University, Masters of Education, 1977
Medical College of Virginia, B.S., 1971
Compliance program development & counseling; Contract negotiations; Corporate governance; Medicaid fraud; Mergers & Acquisitions; Employment related issues; EMTALA; Financing (Tax exempt/taxable); Fraud and abuse compliance; Government investigations; Corporate formation, joint ventures, affiliations, and other business arrangements; Medical staff governance; Medical peer review; Payor contracting; Payor disputes; Regulatory compliance; Patient care issues; Physician compensation & financial arrangements; Physician recruitment and retention; Professional licensure and discipline; Medicare/Medicaid reimbursement; Risk management/liability; State & federal regulatory matters; Tax exempt issues; Telemedicine/e-health
Professional Services (attorneys/CPAs, engineers, physicians); Privately-Held Corporations; Employee Services/Professional Staffing; Nonprofit Organizations; Professional Societies; Academic Medical Centers; Allied Health Professionals; Ambulatory Care; Clinical Laboratories; Community Hospitals; Compounding Pharmacies; Elder Care; Healthcare Technology (MRO, PET, Radiation Therapy); Home/Hospice Care; Hospitals; Independent & Assisted Living; Licensed Clinics; Pharmacies; Physicians; Professional Trade Associations; Providers; Psychiatric Providers; Rehabilitation; Skilled Nursing
National Health Lawyers
Off the record...
Nina’s grandchildren are her passion.
- obtained 501(c)(6), 501(c)(3) tax exempt status approvals and provides ongoing advice to maintain tax exempt status a variety of tax exempt entities
- represents various trade associations in regards to regulatory, corporate, and membership matters
- assists hospitals, hospices, home health agencies, nursing homes, physicians, and assisted living residences with various regulatory compliance and billing matters
- assists various clients in obtaining loan financing from commercial banks, bond financing agencies and HUD
- negotiated and closed numerous physician practices, healthcare facilities, assisted living residences, and other similar asset sales and related transactions
- represents nurses before the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing
- assisted with development and Medicare certification of various ambulatory surgical centers
- developed the applications for and assisted securing various types of Determination of Need approval for various providers including hospitals, nursing homes, and ambulatory surgery centers
- advise various types of heathcare and assisted living providers on general business matters, including contracts, employment and regulatory matters
- advises both non-profit and proprietary boards and executive management regarding strategic initiatives, business operations, regulatory compliance and corporate governance
Giving back to our community
Helping clients successfully navigate health care regulation
Clearing the path for a state-of-the-art hospital in Charlestown
“They know our industry and speak our language.”
–Assisted living provider
“We count on them for strategic advice beyond our legal needs.”
–VP, assisted living