Sean T. Ryan is a partner in the Health Law group. His practice focuses principally on business and regulatory law. Sean represents a wide variety of healthcare providers, including academic medical centers, community hospitals, physician group practices, skilled nursing facilities, home health agencies, community health centers, ambulance service providers and a health maintenance organization. Sean advises many of these organizations on a day-to-day basis on business strategy, regulatory compliance, governance, contracting and employment matters. In addition, he frequently advises clients in connection with investigations and enforcement actions related to Medicare and Medicaid fraud, data breach incidents, healthcare facility licensure and physician licensure. He also maintains a significant corporate transactional practice representing organizations in structuring affiliations, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, reorganizations, and taxable and tax exempt financings.
Sean also advises a number of businesses in other industries with a particular emphasis on the representation of transportation firms, nonprofit organizations and staffing companies. He has extensive experience in working with the U.S. Congress, the Massachusetts State Legislature, and numerous federal, state and municipal agencies in the resolution of various business problems.
Awards & recognitions
Boston Magazine, “Rising Star”, 2005, 2006 and 2007
Senior aide to Congressman John Joseph Moakley in Washington, D.C., and Boston
Campaign Manager for Congressman Moakley
Suffolk University Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1999
Suffolk Jurisprudence Award in Corporations
Wesleyan University, B.A., 1991
Court / Bar Admissions
U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
State & federal regulatory matters; Corporate governance; Corporate formation, joint ventures, affiliations, & other business arrangements; Mergers & acquisitions; Employment-related issues; Contract negotiations; Financing (Tax exempt/taxable); Government investigations
Academic Medical Centers; Community Hospitals; Managed Care Organizations; Community Health Centers; Skilled Nursing Facilities; Home / Hospice Care Agencies; Transportation Services; Government Contractors; Employee Services / Professional Staffing; Nonprofit Organizations
Massachusetts Bar Association
Boston Bar Association
Civic & charitable activities
Board of Directors, John Joseph Moakley Charitable Foundation
Board of Directors, Norwell Visiting Nurses Association, Inc.
- represented the region’s largest healthcare provider system in acquiring an HMO.
- represented a community health center in the construction of a new 78,900 square feet facility financed through a combination of New Markets Tax Credits, a term loan, a construction bridge loan, HRSA grant funds and a HRSA guaranty
- successfully represented numerous employers in audits and appeals of enforcement actions related to compliance with Massachusetts 2006 landmark healthcare reform law
- represented a variety of non-profit entities, including hospitals, colleges, nursing homes and an air ambulance operator in securing tax-exempt financing for major infrastructure improvement and equipment acquisition projects
- regularly advises community hospital boards and senior management regarding strategic initiatives, business operations, regulatory compliance and corporate governance
- represented a leading locum tenens physician and nurse practitioner staffing and recruiting firm from inception through current national expansion
- regularly advises a wide variety of businesses on employment law matters including contracting, employee discipline and discharge, wage & benefit issues, compliance counseling and non-compete agreements
“They know our industry and speak our language.”
–Assisted living provider
“We count on them for strategic advice beyond our legal needs.”
–VP, assisted living
Giving back to our community
Clearing the path for a state-of-the-art hospital in Charlestown