Practice Area: Litigation
William Dolan is a trial attorney practicing in commercial litigation, professional ethics and malpractice, bankruptcy, and construction law. His clients include state and governmental agencies, major cities and towns, fortune 500 companies, hedge funds, national retail chains, and others.
Bill’s best known work includes leading groundbreaking class action pension reform litigation in Rhode Island, and obtaining multi-million dollar jury and bench verdicts in state and federal courts throughout the region. His efforts have been central to important cases involving governmental entities, tobacco companies, construction firms, national retailers, and financial institutions.
Prior to joining Donoghue Barrett & Singal, Bill was an associate and a partner for 25 years at Brown Rudnick LLP where he served as Managing Director of Litigation, General Counsel and Chief Legal Officer.
Emory University, J.D., 1985, Order of the Barristers
University of Rhode Island, B.A., 1981, Phi Beta Kappa
COURT / BAR ADMISSIONS
U.S. District Court
U.S. District Court for the Districts of Rhode Island and Maryland
Supreme Court of Rhode Island
Maryland Court of Appeals
Commercial Litigation; Professional Ethics and Malpractice; Healthcare Litigation; Construction Law; Bankruptcy
Privately-Held Corporations; State and Local Governments; Nonprofit Organizations; Professional Services (attorneys/CPAs, engineers, physicians); Financial Institutions, Construction; Insurance
American Bar Association, Forum on Construction and the Fidelity and Surety Subcommittee, Torts and Insurance Practice Section
Federal Bar Examiners, United States District Court for the District of Rhode Island, Instructor on Federal Court Jurisdiction
PRESENTATIONS & PUBLICATIONS
Co-author, The Agreement of Indemnity, the Sureties Handling of Contract Bond Problems: Enforcement of the Sureties Rights Against the Principal and the Indemnitors Under the Agreement of Indemnity, Torts and Insurance Practice Section, Fidelity and Surety Committee, January, 1989
Author, The Contractors Default As A Condition Precedent To The Contract Bond Surety's Right of Subrogation, Torts and Insurance Practice Section, Fidelity and Surety Law Committee, August 1990
Co-author, Construction Management/Design Build In Rhode Island, Lorman Education Services, July 17, 2001
CIVIC & CHARITABLE ACTIVITIES
Adjunct Professor of Constitutional Law, University of Rhode Island
OFF THE RECORD
Bill enjoys cycling, reading, and traveling
- Represented a prominent regional New England law firm in the defense of a significant professional malpractice case in the Superior Court for Providence County, Rhode Island. RIEDC v. Wells Fargo Securities, LLC.
- Represented a prominent regional New England law firm in the defense and settlement of a professional malpractice claim in the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts. Day v. Burke, et al.
- Represented a prominent New England law firm in the defense and dismissal of a professional malpractice claim pending in Norfolk County Superior Court, Massachusetts. Shaughnessy v. Thomas More College, et al.
- Represented the City of Providence, Rhode Island in the successful defense and settlement of groundbreaking class action pension reform litigation. The Providence Retired Police and Firefighters Assn. v. The City of Providence, Superior Court for Providence County.
- Obtained a jury verdict in Massachusetts state court in favor of a developer on a $65 million claim arising from a ground lease dispute. Rogers Street LLC v. MBA Rogers Street LLC, Superior Court for Suffolk County.
- Obtained a multi-million dollar bench verdict in federal district court on behalf of an energy company against a prominent international contractor arising from substantial construction change order and delay claims. ADP Marshall v. NORESCO LLC, United States District Court for the District of Rhode Island.
- Secured a Rhode Island state court jury verdict in favor of an executrix of a significant estate in a will contest over charges of undue influence and lack of capacity. Payne v. Payne, Superior Court for Washington County.
- Obtained a jury verdict for a Fortune 500 company on a $34 million claim arising from the acquisition of two power production facilities in New England. Tiverton Power Associates Limited Partnership v. Shaw Group Inc., Case No. 01-10914-WGY, United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts.
- Successfully defended the State of Rhode Island in a $750 million bid protest. Blue Cross & Blue Shield v. Najarian, 865 A.2d 1074 (R.I. 2005).
- Served as Co-counsel to the State of Rhode Island in the prosecution and settlement of claims against the tobacco manufacturers resulting in the historic and unprecedented 2003 Master Settlement Agreement that awarded the State of Rhode Island $1 billion in damages.
- Procured the dismissal of breach of commitment claims brought by a chapter 11 trustee against a prominent hedge fund.
- Defeated a motion for summary judgment on behalf of two national retail pharmacy chains in a civil antitrust case. Stop & Shop Supermarket Company v. Blue Cross, 239 F. Supp 2d 180 (D.R.I. 2003).
- Defeated the motion of a major oil company for summary judgment in a case of first impression arising under The Resource Conservation and Recovery Act. Raymond K. Hoxsie Real Estate Trust v. Exxon, 81 F. Supp. 2d 359 (D.R.I. 2000).
- Successfully represented the State of Rhode Island as principal trial and insolvency counsel in the receivership of certain privately insured banks and credit unions with assets totaling $1 billion. Paradis v. Central Credit Union, 680 A.2d 70 (R.I. 1996).
- Successfully defended a national finance company in a successor liability claim arising under the WARN Act.
- Secured an important ruling confirming the subrogation rights of a contract bond surety. Fireman’s Ins. v. Todesca Equip., 310 F.3d 32 (1st Cir. 2002).
Attorney William Dolan Wins Important Superior Court…